The chocolate orange cake recipe is a heavenly mix of dark chocolate and refreshing orange flavouring. The decadent cake is sure to be a hit at any party and is absolutely delicious. If you are looking for an impressive, yet easy dessert recipe to make for your next party or gathering, this chocolate orange cake recipe is perfect.
- 200g unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes, plus extra for the tin
- 200g dark chocolate, broken up
- Three large eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- Zest of one orange
- 75g plain flour, sieved
- 50g cocoa powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 130g of chocolate chips (can be milk, dark or white chocolate or a mix)
- Rita Farhi Chocolate Dipped Orange Slices for decorating.
Nb: Any whisking is done by an electric whisk, although energetic bakers can use a hand whisk and plenty of muscle!
- Melt together the butter and broken chocolate in a bain-marie.
- Leave to slightly cool.
- Mix the sugar and eggs; this should be relatively thick and take around 10 minutes. It will leave a trail when it’s thick enough.
- Pour in the slightly cooled chocolate mix, constantly mixing whilst doing so.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa to the mixture and continue to mix.
- Add the vanilla extra, sea salt, orange zest and orange extract and continue to mix until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking tin.
- Bake on 180c or 160c fan in the middle of the oven for approximately 35 minutes.
- Check that your cake is baked thoroughly by inserting a toothpick or a knife through the centre. If the knife/toothpick comes out clean, your cake is ready; if not, return to the oven and check every 5-10mins so as not to overcook.
- Cool on a baking grid.
- Once cooled completely, top with Rita Farhi Chocolate Dipped Orange Slices and lightly (optional) dust with icing sugar using a sieve.
- Serve and enjoy.